Ginkgo foliage, showing autumn coloration, from a tree at the Los Angeles Arboretum [C.J. Earle, 2009.12.06]>.
Cupressus nevadensis, a mature tree in habitat [C.J. Earle, 2014.01.17].
"A magnificent stand of mixed Port Orford white cedar [Chamaecyparis lawsoniana] and fir timber located in Curry County, Oregon, on the property of the C.A. Smith Timber Company. A fair example of the mixture of fir and cedar growth on Curry County lands" (American Lumberman 1911).
Abies magnifica, a mature tree in Yosemite National Park [C.J. Earle, 2008.07.01].
"Big Tree Bob" Van Pelt with one of the largest known specimens of Larix occidentalis, on the road to Haney Meadows, Washington [C.J. Earle, 2003.08.15].
River in Alaska bordered by Picea glauca forests surrounded by muskeg containing scattered small P. mariana [Dr. Linda B. Brubaker].
Pinus longaeva, an extraordinarily gnarled tree, in the White Pine Mountains [R. Van Pelt, 2001.09.26].
A mature Pinus lambertiana along the Devil's Slide Trail on Mt. San Jacinto, CA [C.J. Earle, 2004.04.10]. Sugar pine is unique in its crown form - it is common for trees, like this one, to have major limbs that reach impossibly far out from the trunk for no apparent reason.
Pinus contorta growing in a peat bog on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. P. contorta subsp. contorta is commonly found in bogs throughout its range [C.J. Earle, 1999.04].
Tsuga mertensiana growing by a lake in Washington [C.J. Earle].
Conifers of Western North America
I wrote this page while I was writing the field guide, Trees of Western North America. This list includes native and naturalized species occurring in the U.S. and Canada west of the 100th meridian of longitude.
Pinophyta, Conifers and allies.
Ginkgo biloba, ginkgo.
Araucaria araucana, monkeypuzzle tree
Sciadopitys verticillata, umbrella pine
Cupressaceae, Cypress family.
- Cupressus arizonica, Arizona cypress
- Cupressus nevadensis, Piute cypress
- Cupressus forbesii, Tecate cypress
- Cupressus stephensonii, Cuyamaca cypress
- Cupressus macrocarpa, Monterey cypress
- Cupressus goveniana, Gowen cypress
- Cupressus goveniana var. abramsiana, Santa Cruz cypress
- Cupressus nootkatensis, Alaska yellow cedar
- Cupressus sargentii, Sargent cypress
- Cupressus macnabiana, MacNab cypress
- Cupressus bakeri, Modoc cypress
Assorted other Cupressaceae:
- Juniperus ashei, Ashe juniper
- Juniperus coahuilensis, redberry juniper
- Juniperus flaccida, drooping juniper
- Juniperus monosperma, oneseed juniper
- Juniperus pinchotii, Pinchot juniper
- Juniperus deppeana, alligator juniper
- Juniperus scopulorum, Rocky Mountain juniper
- Juniperus maritima, Seaside juniper
- Juniperus osteosperma, Utah juniper
- Juniperus occidentalis, western juniper
- Juniperus virginiana, eastern redcedar.
- Juniperus californica, California juniper
- Juniperus communis, common juniper.
Pinaceae, pine family.
Pines of section Balfourianae:
Typical white pines:
Native pines of section Pinus:
Naturalized pines of section Pinus:
Naturalized pines of section Pinaster: